- All Implemented Interfaces:
- Direct Known Subclasses:
public class SoSeparator extends SoGroupGroup node that saves and restores traversal state. This group node performs a push (save) of the traversal state before traversing its children and a pop (restore) after traversing them. This isolates the separator's children from the rest of the scene graph. A separator can include lights, cameras, coordinates, normals, bindings, and all other properties. Separators are relatively inexpensive (the push/pop operation is highly optimized), so they can be used freely within scenes.
SoSeparatornode provides caching of state during bounding box computation. This feature can be explicitly enabled or disabled by setting the
boundingBoxCachingfield. By default, this field is set to AUTO, which means that Open Inventor decides whether to build a cache based on internal heuristics.
Separators can also perform culling during rendering and picking. Culling skips over traversal of the separator's children if they are not going to be rendered or picked, based on the comparison of the separator's bounding box with the current view volume. Culling is controlled by the
pickCullingfields. These are also set to AUTO by default; however, render culling can be expensive (and can interfere with render caching), so the AUTO heuristics leave it disabled unless specified otherwise. Note that if renderCulling is ON, the
SoSeparatorwill prohibit auto-caching, so that no
SoSeparator(or other render caching node) above this node in the scene graph will automatically create a render cache.
The fast editing feature allows you to modify parts of a scene without redrawing the entire scene. For example, you could use it to interactively move a small object in a large scene that takes a long time to redraw. Fast editing must be enabled using
fastEditingfield enables fast editing for the sub-graph under the
SoSeparator. Possible values are DISABLE, KEEP_ZBUFFER, and CLEAR_ZBUFFER. Using KEEP_ZBUFFER means that the fast edit geometry is depth buffered against the other objects in the scene, and using CLEAR_ZBUFFER means that the fast edit geometry will be drawn on top of the other objects of the scene. If several SoSeparators have the CLEAR_ZBUFFER flag set, they are drawn in the order in which they appear in the scene. The last separator in the scene will be topmost on the screen.
Fast edit performance:
- This feature is most efficient when the parts of a scene graph to be fast edited contain a relatively small number of triangles.
- The topmost
SoSeparatorof your scene graph should not enable the fast editing feature. Otherwise, performance will be very poor.
- Currently, the entire viewport is saved and restored during fast editing. Therefore, fast editing performance is linked to the size of the viewport: the larger the viewport, the longer it will take to save and restore it.
Fast edit limitations:
- Hardware: Fast editing performance depends on your graphics hardware and driver. To use the fast editing feature, the ARB_bufferRegion OpenGL extension is required.
- Clip planes: When a fast edit object is moved outside the clip planes limit, fast editing is temporarily disabled and the entire scene is redrawn.
- All fast editing sub-graphs are rendered even if only one fast editing sub-graph has changed.
- Transparency: If the scene contains partially transparent objects, there is a possibility of visual artifacts regardless of what transparency algorithm is used. The fast edit shapes are necessarily rendered on top of the rest of the scene, which may not be the order required for correct transparency.
- Stereo rendering: Fast edit is not compatible with stereo rendering. Fast edit is disabled when switching to stereo rendering.
boundingBoxCaching AUTO renderCulling AUTO pickCulling AUTO fastEditing DISABLE renderUnitID -1
Saves the current traversal state, traverses all children, and restores the previous traversal state. Sets:
Nested Class Summary
Nested Classes Modifier and Type Class Description
SoSeparator.CachingsPossible values for caching.
SoSeparator.FastEditingsFast editing policy enumeration values.
Nested classes/interfaces inherited from class com.openinventor.inventor.nodes.SoNode
Fields Modifier and Type Field Description
boundingBoxCachingWhether to cache during bounding box traversal.
fastEditingSpecifies the fast edit mode of the separator node.
pickCullingWhether to cull during picking traversal.
renderCachingDeprecated.As of Open Inventor 10300.
renderCullingWhether to cull during rendering traversal.
renderUnitIdUsed during the ScaleViz depth compositing process, this field specifies which render unit (OIRU) will render the sub scene graph below this separator.
Methods inherited from class com.openinventor.inventor.nodes.SoGroup
addChild, findChild, getChild, getNumChildren, insertChild, removeAllChildren, removeChild, removeChild, replaceChild, replaceChild
Methods inherited from class com.openinventor.inventor.nodes.SoNode
affectsState, callback, copy, copy, distribute, doAction, getAlternateRep, getBoundingBox, getByName, getMatrix, getPrimitiveCount, getRenderEngineMode, getRenderUnitID, GLRender, GLRenderBelowPath, GLRenderInPath, GLRenderOffPath, grabEventsCleanup, grabEventsSetup, handleEvent, isBoundingBoxIgnoring, isOverride, pick, rayPick, search, setOverride, touch, write
Methods inherited from class com.openinventor.inventor.fields.SoFieldContainer
copyFieldValues, copyFieldValues, enableNotify, fieldsAreEqual, get, getAllFields, getEventIn, getEventOut, getField, getFieldName, hasDefaultValues, isNotifyEnabled, set, setToDefaults
Methods inherited from class com.openinventor.inventor.misc.SoBase
dispose, getName, isDisposable, isSynchronizable, setName, setSynchronizable
@Deprecated public final SoSFEnum<SoSeparator.Cachings> renderCachingDeprecated.As of Open Inventor 10300. This field is ignored. Render caching is set internally to ensure best performance.Whether to cache during rendering traversal. . Default is AUTO.
Warning Deprecated since Open Inventor 10300. This field is ignored. Render caching is set internally to ensure best performance.
public final SoSFEnum<SoSeparator.Cachings> boundingBoxCachingWhether to cache during bounding box traversal. . Default is AUTO.
public final SoSFEnum<SoSeparator.Cachings> renderCullingWhether to cull during rendering traversal. . Default is AUTO.
public final SoSFEnum<SoSeparator.Cachings> pickCullingWhether to cull during picking traversal. . Default is AUTO.
public final SoSFEnum<SoSeparator.FastEditings> fastEditingSpecifies the fast edit mode of the separator node. Use enum
FastEditing. Default is DISABLE.
- Open Inventor 5.0
public final SoSFInt32 renderUnitIdUsed during the ScaleViz depth compositing process, this field specifies which render unit (OIRU) will render the sub scene graph below this separator.
- 0, the sub scene graph is rendered on the local machine.
- > 0, the sub scene graph is rendered by the OIRU with the specified ID. If the specified renderUnitId is larger than the number of available render units, the sub scene graph is distributed to the specified render unit ID modulo the number of render units actually available. That is:
RenderUnitUsed = ((renderUnitId-1)%(ActualNumberOfRenderUnits))+1
- -1 (SO_RENDERUNITID_NONE), this separator is not assigned to any OIRU.
NOTE: This is the default value, which means that by default the sub scene graph is *not* distributed to any node. In order to use depth compositing, you must modify renderUnitId from the default, otherwise nothing will be rendered.
- -2 (SO_RENDERUNITID_INHERIT), this separator inherits its value from parent
- -3 (SO_RENDERUNITID_ALL), the sub scene graph is rendered by all OIRUs.
- Open Inventor 6.1